Thursday, August 7, 2008

Can't believe...

...that it's been more than 3 months since I've posted to this thing! (so sorry! priorities shift!)

...that we've been in OKC nearly 2 months...and are homeowners! (all grown up now!)

...that the cats haven't totally made me crazy with begging to go outside all the time now that we let them into the lovely fenced backyard!

...that the cats have not figured out how to climb over the fence...yet (PTL!), have not brought us any "presents" from their backyard adventures, and that I've only had to rescue one of them from the tree once (and have the scratches to prove it!)

...that I would much rather give birth again any day than go through the crazy ordeal we went through in moving down here...seriously not fun, but the Lord got us through and we lived to tell the tale!! (and one day I'll laugh about it, I'm sure...)

...that I am so happy to be back in the land of Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy Stores...and that I am now hopelessly addicted to their Peanut Butter Cup ice cream!!!

...that I have a 3 month old baby...seems like just yesterday that I was huge and pregnant!

...that time is already flying by so quickly, or that I would so desperately want it to stand still to capture every moment

...that what started as a tiny bunch of cells nearly a year ago grew to become the not-so-tiny (13 pounds and growing!) person I see today...what a MIRACLE it truly is!!

...that the actual birth process was everything I thought it would be and at the same time nothing like I thought it would be....the hardest thing I've ever done and yet the most natural...it was awesome, beautiful, and so empowering!

...that having a natural birth would make me such an advocate for it...and amazed that more women don't attempt it!

...that the next time around (Lord willing...and hopefully it won't be too soon!) I would really like to have a homebirth with a midwife, possibly even a waterbirth (see this documentary on The Business of Being Born...amazing! EVERY woman who is even considering having a baby should watch it!)

...that I'm no longer just Sara, I'm Ephraim's mommy (and "the pastor's wife")!

...that you can love another person so completely

...that I could find so much joy in watching my baby sleep

...that my heart could almost melt when Ephraim flashes a smile!!

...that it would be such a thrill to do something that makes Ephraim laugh...or that we would get so creative at it!! (let's just say, he likes blowing raspberries, goofy faces/noises, and songs from Fiddler on the Roof, Mary Poppins, and Sound of Music....oh yes, and Old MacDonald had a Farm!!)

...that you can survive for so long on so little sleep *yawn* (it is getting better...he's been sleeping almost the whole night through since 8 weeks! now if I could just stop being such a nightowl...)

...that being a stay at home mom does not automatically mean that the house is perfectly clean and dinner is on the table every night (hehe, guess my delusions of turning into Martha Stewart will safely stay in the realm of fantasy!!)

...that I have virtually NOTHING written in his baby book, when I swore that I would be so good at keeping up wit it!

...that caring for another human being could be so all-consuming and such an awesome responsibility...I figure if we both survive to see another day, I did a good job! :o)

...that there is so much STUFF that comes along with a baby!

...that there are still so many boxes in here...hey, who's in charge of unpacking, anyway?! And more importantly, who decided that Oklahomans don't need basements?!? Where are you supposed to keep your STUFF???

...that I've been outside of the house so little since we've been here (cabin fever, anyone?)

...that it hasn't gotten below 90 degrees since we've been in OKC (I don't think, anyway...that whole not leaving the house thing...maybe that's not such a bad thing!)

...that I was healthy as a horse during the entire pregnancy (seriously, NEVER been healthier!), but that within the first 2 months postpartum I've had 3 infections requiring antibiotics (guess I'm making up for having an "easy" pregnancy!)

...that I could fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes 2 weeks post-partum and am less than 5 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy wait!! (yay! breastfeeding really is the best diet!)

...that taking a shower would become my daily victory (sometimes an infrequent one...)

...that spit-up is not the only baby by-product that can be explosive (I'll spare you the details...)

...that I could stand to wait more than a day (or 2...) to change our sheets when there is baby poop, pee, and/or spit-up on them (I know it's gross...don't judge me!!)

...that using cloth diapers is so much fun...yes, I used "fun" and "diapers" in the same sentence. :o)

...that I would have reason to be so interested in any other person's bodily functions (or proud of them!)

...that I know people with 4 kids who seem to get so much done when I can't seem to figure it out with just 1!!! (you know who you are, and I am truly in awe)

...that breastfeeding could be so rewarding when it's going well, and so frustrating when it's not! (but that is pretty rare...it really is wonderful!) I can see why women give up on it during the hard times, but I am committed to making it work because I know it is one of the best gifts I can give Ephraim!

...that I survived my first overnight trip away from Ephraim (3 nights!!), and that he thrived in spite of it! (thanks, Mom...you were a lifesaver!)

...that while every day may not go exactly like I planned, and that even though I may get frustrated and lonely some days being at home, there is nothing I would rather do than to take care of the precious life I helped to create. I love being a mommy!! :o)

...that I am promising to post more often from here on out...thanks for being patient during all of our transitions, but most of all thank you for PRAYING for us during it all...we felt your prayers!

...that you read all the way through to the end of this post (I know it was long!!)!! :oP

3 comments:

Richard said...

I can't believe most of those things either. Love ya.

strollerfreak - Mel said...

For every thing I do get done, there are always 2 more in the wings that didn't...and you know what? It's OK!! ;-)

Justyn said...

Concerning a natural birth, Tara and I had our son at home with a mid-wife and we will do it again that way. It was...intense...to say the least. Tara had the baby without so much as a gram of medicine! Not even Tylenol!! Anyway, totally worth it, but not for the faint of heart.