Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Miracle: 33 Weeks

Thirty-three weeks down, seven weeks to go! Technically, once I hit 37 weeks that means the baby could come any time after that, so that takes us down to possibly only four weeks to go! YIKES!!! Baby "E" better wait a while longer than that to come if he knows what's good for him...I need more time to get ready!! My belly button hasn't turned into an "outie" yet...I hear that until it has "popped" that means the baby isn't "done" yet, so I guess I still have a little more time! ;o) And Richard can just hush about me getting big...his waistline hasn't been shrinking any lately either!

The baby shower was so much fun (thanks to all who came!), and we got a lot of really nice things for "E"! I don't know where our cord went to download the pictures from our camera, but once we find it I will have to upload those onto Flickr...the cake alone was amazing...3-d and shaped like a baby block, complete with letters and numbers on the sides! My friends Melissa and Sarah threw such a great shower, and I feel truly blessed to have such great friends looking after me. :o) We are still looking for a few "big ticket" items (dresser/changing table, glider, pack-n-play, swing...), but the nursery finally feels like it is coming together, so that is a relief.

Richard mentioned my obsession with diapers...and yes, it has become an obsession! I'm not talking about your average disposable diaper, either, lest you wonder what all the fuss is about. I have wanted for some time to use cloth diapers when we started our family, and so I have been busy building a "stash" for our coming little one. Now before you go getting all grossed out about cleaning up poo from cloth diapers and worrying about sticking the baby with diaper pins and making them wear plastic pants, let me just say that cloth diapers have come a LONG WAY from what they were when my mom and Richard's mom used them on us (which I'm proud to say they did!), and that some cloth diapers are as easy to use as disposables! There are tons of websites out there extolling the virtues of cloth over 'sposies (just type "cloth diapers" into any search engine and prepare to be amazed!), and there are whole communities of people besides myself who think it is anything but crazy, but here are the main reasons I am excited about it:
  • Cloth diapering (CD'ing) saves quite a bit of money over just using and tossing disposables (especially when you can save and reuse them on a 2nd child);
  • CD'ing is an environmentally friendlier option than dumping a ton of diapers in our landfills;
  • CD'ing is healthier for the baby on a variety of levels, and using natural fibers (rather than paper/plastic) allows their skin to breathe, resulting in almost no diaper rash;
  • and last but not least, babies in cloth dipes just look so cute with their fluffy little butts!!! :o)

So just watch and see if I don't convert some of you naysayers out there...you just might find yourself a wee bit jealous when baby "E" has the cutest, fluffiest butt in the nursery! ;o)

So, now that I'm stepping down off of my soapbox, let me share a little of what's going on with "E's" development this week:

How your baby's growing: This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds (heft a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. He's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and his skeleton is hardening. The bones in his skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for him to fit through the birth canal. (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a conehead-like appearance.) These bones don't entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as his brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.



No comments: