Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Miracle: Weeks 27-30!



Ok, so it has been a LONG time since I updated this thing! February was a busy month, and I am a bit of a procrastinator (I know...what a shocker!), and the two things combined meant that many things went undone around here, not the least of which was this blog! So here's a run-down of what's been going on since the last time I posted...

Richard and I went to Eureka Springs to stay at our favorite B&B over Valentine's Day. It was SO GOOD to get away! The weather was beautiful while we were there, so it made it nice to get out and walk around and check out all the quaint little shops in their downtown area. I went and had a VERY NICE massage to help out with the pregnancy aches and pains...I have a feeling I may need a few more of those in the days and weeks to come!! We ate at some really great restaurants while we were there (and at one cafe I even got to indulge my hankering for cinnamon rolls...homemade, no less!), and those of you who know me also know that food is almost more important to me than where we stay!! :o) We also got to do a little shopping for "E" and the nursery, and I am probably most excited about the print we purchased from a local folk arist. It is pictured at the top of this entry, and I love that it combines our farm animal nursery theme with my love of nursery rhymes! It's so much cuter in person.

I've been feeling really well overall this month. I can tell that I'm getting a little achier and I get a bit more tired after a long day, but I'm none too worse for wear I suppose! I've only had a couple nights where I've laid awake in bed for a while without being able to sleep, and one night it was bad enough to make me get up and go into the living room to read for a while until I became sleepy again. Usually though I can sleep through the night with only getting up once in the wee hours of the morning to, well, wee. ;o) That may change in the days to come! I am definitely feeling a bit more cumbersome...not used to carrying this extra weight around, but I'm getting used to it. The weather was so nice here on Saturday that Richard talked me into getting out and taking a walk around our neighborhood. I SWEAR there were not that many hills the last time I walked that route! Or at least I didn't feel them as much. But it felt so good to be outdoors enjoying the sunshine that I really didn't care. Can't wait for more days like that!

Well, here is a rundown on what has change in "E's" development over the past several weeks...it's so fun to know how he is growing and changing!

Week 27
This week your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14.4 inches long with his legs extended. He can now open and close his eyes, and he sleeps and wakes at regular intervals. He may suck his fingers, and although his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with assistance — if he were to be born prematurely. Chalk up any rhythmic movement you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and isn't bothersome to him, so enjoy the tickle. (Side note: "E" has the hiccups while I'm typing this entry!! He has them several times a day at least...my mother in law says if he has lots of hiccups he'll have lots of hair...can't wait to find out if this old wives' tale is true!) With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. Wonder what he's thinking?

Week 28
By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of his head to his heels. He can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With his eyesight developing, he may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. He's also developing billions of neurons in his brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

Week 29
Your baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. To meet his increasing nutritional demands, you'll need plenty of protein, vitamins C, folic acid, and iron. And because his bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day.

Week 30
Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and he weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds him, but that volume will decrease as he gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. His eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after he's born, he'll keep his eyes closed for a good part of the day. When he does open them, he'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means he can only make out objects a few inches from his face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)
The picture below is what "E" might look like at about 30 weeks. Look how much bigger he is than the picture posted at 26 weeks!! My little boy is getting so big...

No comments: