Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Miracle: 24 weeks

Ok, so this post is a bit belated! I am not as good about posting as Richard is, but I am trying. :o) We are past the 24 week mark (as of last Thursday), which means that if little "E" decided to arrive this early he would actually have a good chance of surviving. We haven't had any indications that early delivery could be a possibility since everything has been very normal so far, but it's nice to know, nonetheless!

I've been blessed with a very easy pregnancy so far, but I am starting to feel more of the aches and pains that are bound to show up the further the pregnancy goes. There have been a few nights of very restless sleep, but adding in a couple more pillows has helped me to find a better sleeping position (there's so many pillows, it's almost like there's an extra person in the bed!). The past couple days I've gotten headaches, which I really haven't had all throughout the pregnancy (though I used to get them semi-regularly before being pregnant), but I'm hopeful that they are due to diet or stress and do not indicate anything more serious. I don't want to be a pansy and call my doctor about every little thing, but I also don't want to overlook anything that could be important! One day at a time, I suppose.

One other thing that I didn't really have throughout the first part of my pregnancy was any kind of craving for a specific food. Well those days are over! I heard a radio show on Friday all about where to find the best cinnamon rolls in KC, and ever since then I have been craving cinnamon rolls something awful!! Richard didn't take the hint and go out and get me any on Sunday, so on Monday night when I was driving back from a Mary Kay event, in freezing rain, I HAD to stop at Wal-Mart and get a tube of Grands cinnamon rolls, and I'm so glad I did! They were delectable. :o) Can't wait to see what's next on the cravings list!

We've also started looking at nursery decor...the fun part! Richard just earned "husband of the year" from me (totally made up for the cinnamon rolls), because while I was gone on an overnight trip to Wichita this past weekend, he not only cleaned the whole house (aren't I lucky!), but he also took everything out of the guest room and set up the crib!! So we officially have the start of our nursery, and it's starting to make everything feel like it's moving so much faster! Anyway, we are trying to decide between different nursery decor themes...maybe we'll put up another poll with links to our top picks to let you help us decide. :o)

In the meantime, here is a little bit about how "E" is developing this week:

Your baby's growing steadily, gaining about a quarter of a pound since last week, when he was just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), that makes a pretty lean figure, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon put on more baby fat. Your baby's skin is thin, translucent, and wrinkled, his brain is growing rapidly, and his taste buds are developing. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" and cells that produce surfactant, a substance that helps the air sacs inflate easily.

No comments: