Thursday, April 3, 2008

Breastfeeding Class


I would never have imagined in my wildest dreams that I would be attending a Breastfeeding Class in my lifetime. I'm still not sure why, but Sara insisted that I go with her to the class last night. I was sure that I would be the only guy there, but to my surprise there were lots of guys in attendance. We are either really supportive husbands or we're all whipped and easily dragged around by our pregnant wives. I guess there is a third option, guys who couldn't turn down the opportunity to see breasts on a big screen. But I have to say that it was not appealing in the least. I hope that I'm in the supportive husband camp - all I know is that my dad wouldn't have been caught dead going to a breastfeeding class. How times have changed.

If this all seems rather crude, forgive me. When you are getting ready to have your first child things change and some level of modesty is simply thrown out the window. I just wanted to share with everyone that I earned some brownie points last night, and they were hard earned points, too. I guess that it is the least I can do since Sara has to really do all the work.

It is easy for us guys to get sidelined during this whole pregnancy thing. Moms get to bond even while the baby is still in the womb, they are "mom" from the very beginning. Dads are a little left out and limited in our bonding until the baby is actually here, which is coming up very quickly for us. May the Lord help me continue to be the kind of supporting husband that goes to breastfeeding classes and a loving father, just like Him.

No comments: