Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Miracle: 38 Weeks

Can't believe we are talking about the baby being here in a matter of days, rather than weeks! I am finally feeling ready. Since the doctor's appointment last Wed we have managed to accomplish quite a few things on the "to do before baby" list, so I am not stressing out at this point! Today we had another doctor's appointment, and while me and baby are both doing great, she said we are pretty much at the same place we were last week, so no further progress. I had figured that would probably be the case...we REALLY toned down the walking and stretching after last week's appointment, because I knew I wasn't ready for this kiddo to get here any earlier at that point! Now that we have more of our ducks in a row, I'm ready to get back to our former routine. And what a beautiful time of year to get out and enjoy walking around the neighborhood...I LOVE the spring! All the green and all the trees budding and flowers in bloom and birds singing...this is why I wanted a spring baby!

Thank you to all who have been keeping me and the baby in your prayers. I have said it before, and I will say it again...this has been a very blessed pregnancy! I really am feeling wonderful...no major physical complaints at all, still sleeping through the night (with maybe one visit to the bathroom at most), no major swelling, etc. The doctor this morning was actually surprised when she asked how I'm feeling and I told her that I feel great...she jokingly let me know that it was ok to say that I was ready for this all to be over and how horrible I was feeling, etc, etc. I just smiled and told her that, REALLY, I feel great! Now we're just playing the waiting game. My prayer is that with an easy pregnancy we can also expect to enjoy an easy and happy baby...we'll see how that pans out! Guess we'll find out soon enough, at any rate. :o)

Even though I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow, here is how "E" has developed over this past week:

How your baby's growing: Your baby has really plumped up. He weighs about 6.8 pounds and he's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). He has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold his hand for the first time! His organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb. Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If he's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If he's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time he's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after he's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)

No comments: